Name:
Location: Lowell, MA

I'm Kevin Griener, bitch; you better axe someone.

Thursday, May 10, 2007

5/10/07

Dear Blog,

I went down to Maryland this past weekend, and had myself a ball. On Saturday night, Tristan, Corey, and I went down to Fell's Point and hit up all the usual suspects. We started out at Max's on Broadway, stopped by the Admiral's Cup, and headed over to Gemini; then we went to a place that I had never been but Tristan and I think Corey had been - I don't recall the name of it but it was an island themed bar that was a couple floors up and looked out over the street - very enjoyable. Finally, we spent a few minutes over at the Green Turtle before we cashed in and took off for back home.

Sunday I did a lot of yard work for the folks, who are having no luck at all getting the Pasadena house off their hands. They are talking with a new relator who is telling them to knock about $90,000 of their asking price. To me, this is just absurd - I understand that the market is shit, but this house should be going for 750 easy. Instead it looks like they won't be able to fetch more than 600 for it. Anyway, Sunday night I went over to Wise's place and played poker with him, Corey, and Dave's friend Andrew. I got down $10 quick, but rallied to finish up 8. Corey left at about 10:45 or so, but I stuck around and shot the shit with Dave and Andrew till about 1:15.

I saw Dave and Andrew again on Monday, as we all went to the Oriole game that afternoon. Dave knows an usher who works behind home plate, so we were able to sit in some amazing seats - about 10 rows back, behind the screen on the first base side. The game was good until the 7th inning, when the Indians blew it open and tacked on more runs in the 8th and 9th to make it a full-fledged blow-out. But that doesn't mean we didn't have a good time.

Monday evening I flew back to Mass, and that night it was back to the grindstone.

We've been getting quite a bit of volume these last couple weeks, and tonight it was just plain hot in the hub. I know the temperature isn't going to get any better, but I hope they bring on some more help to deal with all of these boxes.

Tuesday, my cousin Mark, my sister, and I went to see Spiderman 3. If you're fortunate enough to have not seen it yet, don't. It's a real POS. I haven't been this dissapointed with a movie since The Phantom Menace. You know you're in trouble with a comic book movie sequel when the creators decide that instead of having one really good bad guy - like Willem Dafoe in the original or Alfred Molina in the second - they'll sub in 2 or 3 mediocre ones. They may have been right in assuming that the kid who plays Harry wouldn't be able to carry the torch passed on to him by Dafoe and Molina by himself, but adding Thomas Hayden Church and Topher Grace - two ex-sitcom actors - was not the solution to that problem. If that were the only problem, it would have been a shame, but that was far from the case. All of Peter Parker's personal problems are rehashed from the previous two movies, as if no character development occured in them at all. Apart from that (and maybe more than a little bit because of it) Parker and Mary Jane are, well, annoying. Honestly, I didn't care what happened to their relationship, because by about the 1/3 mark in the film, I didn't like either of them anymore. The comic relief scenes go on for too long, the dramatic scenes go on for too long, and despite the film's 2:20 girth, the bad guys are chronically underdeveloped, which is a sin because the development of the villians was part of what made the first two Spiderman movies so great. Do yourself a big favor and skip this one. Whatever ending for the series you come up with in your head has to be better than what the film provides. One star.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home