Name:
Location: Lowell, MA

I'm Kevin Griener, bitch; you better axe someone.

Saturday, November 11, 2006

11-11-06

Dear Blog,

It's Veteran's Day, which is extremely cool because I get Holiday pay on Veteran's Day, whether I would actually work that day or not. So, basically, I'm getting paid a full day's wages for a Saturday while I'm 500 miles away.

I don't usually write on a Saturday, but our plane leaves at 6:45, which means we have to leave here for the airport at 5:00. So, I don't have time to do anything else between now and then but write in this blog. I can't sleep, because all sleeping for half-an-hour will do is piss me off when I have to get up. And I can't watch a movie. I can't even get a decent DOOM session out of 30 minutes. So, I'll write.

Today's big event was my haircut. I called the place up at around 1:00 and asked to make an apoointment that afternoon. The guys tells me to come in at around 2:30. It's a short walk to the place - I love this about living downtown. So much is within walking distance it's not even funny. And in Lowell, you don't have to worry about getting beat up or shot.

After that it was mostly nothing. Kait came in about 4:00-ish, we sat around and watched TV - two episodes of CSI, and then Scrubs and the Daily Show/Colbert Report. Then I turned it onto the football game (UTEP beat UAB 36-17 - but I left after the 3rd quarter, and Kait went to bed.

Work today went really well for about 4/5 of the shift, but then the unloaders started sending up all these tape-ups (tape-ups, as you may have guessed, are packages that need to be taped up; the unloaders are supposed to catch them all theoretically, or some of them, in practice). I mean, it was like they were throwing any damn thing on the belt, no matter how the contents were spilling out. So that extended our shift by 15-30 minutes. When this week's check comes, I'll be happy about that, but tonight it wasn't too pleasing. If I had an hour instead of a half-hour, I'd be playing DOOM right now; and starting to get into it, too.

This is a funny story, so I'll retell it here (if you have seen me since I wrote this entry (i.e., since 5:00 Saturday morning), skip this paragraph, as you've heard the story. As I was leaving work, I was carrying on my usual dialect with myself as I walked past the lockers that the employees can use to store their valuables whilst they work. The lockers are on a black platform, only slightly elevated, with two steps leading up to the platform. On the steps, which are also black, is written, in large, yellow, capital letters: "NO SITTING". I said, "Damn, and I really wanted to park my ass there, too." I kept walking, and about ten feet later I walk past this huge open bay door (there are bay doors all around the facility so the Brownies can drive in and out - I don't have to tell you what the Brownies are, do I?) looking out into "the yard", as we call the huge paved area where all the trucks, big and small, are driving all round. Right in front of the door, on the yard side, is an area marked off with a big yellow painted line, and it said in that space, in HUGE capital yellow letters: "NO PARKING". Well, I read that and said, "You can't do anything here. Is this hub located in America or not?" Right as I said that I walked into the space in the hub where a bunch of Brownies are parked, and hanging over all the Brownies is this enormous American flag. I realize that this is a had-to-be-there story in a way, but this was the funniest thing that had happened to me in a long time so I thought I would mention it.

After work I went to the gas station across the highway from where I work to buy my after-work snack. Usually, just come to the apartment and eat Taquitos, but we ran out of them only recently so I had to pick something up. Anyway, while I'm walking around I'm debating myself about what to get, and I'm doing this out-loud. I get to the register and the foreign guy says, "You talk with yourself?". I said, "Ya, it keeps my mind limber." As I walked out of the place, I thought to myself, "And I've got a funny story about that..."

I've stopped caring who knew about that kind of crap and what they thought about it because I've come to a startling ralization over the past couple of years. We are all fucking crazy, it's just a matter of degrees. So, being insecure about it is just a complete waste of time. Example - my cousin Kerry is, I believe, 3 years older than me. She was always babysitting us when we were kids and we would go up to Massachusetts, so I looked at her, from my childhood, as sort of an authority figure, and from the way she carried herself when she was around us, I always assumed she was the most well put-together mentally of the whole lot of us. Then Kait is retelling me this story. Kerry and one of her brothers, who are, I think, 30 (they're twins), are having a disagreement of some sort or another, and her brother tells her something along the lines of, "I wish you'd never been born." I'm paraphrasing here, I do not know the exact quote. What I do know is, it is the kind of thing you would say that is so over-the-top, there is no way in Hell anyone would take you seriously. Well, Kerry took it seriously. And she wouldn't talk to whoever it was for like a week. As Kait was telling me this my eyes got wide. "I didn't know Kerry was so...fragile." It later occured to me that by "fragile" I meant crazy. I guess I wasn't ready for that revelation. But ever since then I've been looking at everyone I meet and, yeah - they're all fucking nuts. The only question is - how nuts? Coz after a certain amount we have to put you away. But we're all there, to some degree or another. And quite frankly, my quirks are downright charming compared to the way some of the freaks are so unglued.

'Dena this weekend. Can't wait to see the homies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home