Name:
Location: Lowell, MA

I'm Kevin Griener, bitch; you better axe someone.

Friday, November 03, 2006

End of the week

Dear Blog,

Thank God it's Friday, as they say. Although this week has not been a particularly bad one, save for the godawful Tuesday night. Even last night, which went on pretty long thanks to the California trucks, went at a decent pace. I wouldn't say I was particularly stressed at any point.

Anyway, last night I made a chicken alfredo casserole for dinner, and it came out pretty decently, except that I need to make the chicken strips smaller next tome and add much more garlic. But for something I have never tried before, it was pretty successful...I'll have to add that one to the rotation.

I'm trying to think about something else interesting that happened yesterday and I'm coming up blank, sorry.

I don't know if you've heard it yet, but Staind has come out with an acoustic cover of Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb" that is all over the radio station that plays at my work. And I'm here to tell you, it is godawful. I mean, I'm not one of those guys who thinks that you should never cover a good song, but if you are going to do it, you damn sure better do it right, and this is about the furthest from "doing it right" that you can come. First of all, the song is about going to the doctor's office and getting shot up with painkillers until you're completely stoned, and everything about that song, from the lyrics to the music in the background, is there to simulate that experience. So to do an acoustic version of the song couldn't be any more retarded. I want to make a good analogy, but I can't think of anything that would be as out of place as an acoustic version of comfortably numb. Maybe, remaking Caddyshack, except casting Freddie Prinze, Jr. as Danny Noonan, James Woods as Judge Smails, Sean Penn as Ty Webb, Morgan Freeman as Carl Spackler, and leaving Rodney Dangerfield's character out completely and making it the heartbreaking story of a young caddy struggling against the class-divisions of a local country club with the help of his mentor and a kindly old groundskeeper with sage advice, who is tragically killed after the Judge catches him sleeping with his neice. Or, remaking Shawshank Redemption and casting Adam Sandler as Andy Dufresne, Robin Williams (the Death to Smoochy Robin Williams, not the Good Will Hunting Robin Williams) as Red, and Jim Carrey as the Warden, and making it the goofy story of a wrongfully imprisoned banker and his hilarious escapades as he tries to escape from prison. In other words, no.

And if that's not bad enough, the singer sounds like he is being beaten throughout the whole song. Has he always sounded this bad, and I just wasn't paying attention because he wasn't butchering one of my favortie songs, or was this just a bad performance because, I don't know, his girlfriend brokw up with him as he was about to go onstage and he had to load up on heroin first? Either way, the song should never have seen the light of day, and yet the fucking station at my work keeps playing it. Damn them all to Hell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home